Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Carrot Custard Pie

 
I love to bake pies. It’s my favorite dessert to serve to company. This past week I got really creative and made a pie out of carrots. It kind of tastes like pumpkin or sweet potato pie, yet a little different. My tasters love it! You might too!
 
Carrot Custard Pie
 
1 cup granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. cloves
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 lbs. raw carrots, cooked and pureed in food processor
1 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
½ cup light cream (half and half), at room temperature
1 deep dish (9-inch) pie shell, unbaked
 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine sugar, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon in large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the carrot puree. Stir in the heavy cream and half and half. Pour filling into the pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool to room temperature, and then chill in the refrigerator 2-3 hours or overnight. Serve with whipped cream. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! That pie looks absolutely delectable! I love carrots in desserts and that will be another addition to my to-do-list. I'm definitely bookmarking this! Keep your creative cooking juices flowing!

    Jason Underwood @ La Patisserie bakery

    ReplyDelete