Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Shortbread Toffee Squares


Growing up, I have the best summer memories of hanging out at my best friend’s pool, and her mom bringing us out a batch of freshly-made shortbread toffee squares. Mmmm! Those were scrumptious! Over the years, I’ve made the same recipe myself. In fact, I just made a batch today. My kids, too, enjoy these as poolside snacks with their friends. You might want to try them yourself. They’re easy to make, and freeze well.

Shortbread Toffee Squares

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 (11.5 oz.) bag milk or semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter and sugar together; blend in egg and vanilla. Add flour and salt and mix well. Spread into a greased 13X9-inch baking pan. Bake in 325 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, or until tan in color. When done baking, remove from oven and top with chocolate chips. Once the chips have melted, spread out chocolate in an even layer. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Cool and cut into bars. Makes 25 to 30 bars.

Happy baking!
~Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment